In 1948, Mike and Vivian Martin prayed for a youth home on the grounds of the abandoned Firland Tuberculosis Sanatorium in Shoreline, Washington. One year later the sanatorium became King’s Garden and opened as a home to youth in dormitories. Soon, King’s Schools was formed to meet the youth’s educational needs with a Christ-centered school. The school celebrated its first graduating class in 1951.
What happened as we grew
The first class to graduate from King’s was in 1951, with seven students. One of those was Curtis Martin, son of Mike and Vivian Martin. Along with other classmates, he was instrumental in coming up with the name “King’s Knights.”
The following year there were 16 graduates. Since then, there have been over 70 graduating classes at King’s. From humble beginnings, more than seventy years later, King’s Schools serves approximately 1,200 students annually from preschool through high school. It is well respected for its academic rigor, award-winning athletics, DECA, Mock Trial, and Robotics teams, and Christ-centered worldview.
King’s rich academic, artistic, athletic, and spiritual legacy continues to this day as we equip the next generation with a Christ-centered pursuit of excellence; both developing the individual to their full potential and impacting the world for God’s glory.